Thursday, January 26, 2012

January 26, 2012

Good sessions and conversations yesterday here at the “Large Church Initiative” in Richardson, Texas. I was a preparatory member of the host church from 1960-1962. The speakers, worship services, and informal meal conversations have all been fruitful. I will read scripture, pray and write then work out. We depart today, so I will pack up, head to breakfast and then pick up John and Josh for the last two sessions before we drive back to Springfield.

Matthew 19

As Jesus was teaching and healing in the region of Judea beyond the Jordan, Pharisees tested him with the question “is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any cause?” Jesus reviews Genesis with them and concludes “what God has joined together, let no one separate.” (Verse 6) As the Pharisees pushed him on this point and referred to Moses’ command to issue a certificate of divorce, Jesus responded that this was because the people were so hard-hearted that Moses allowed divorce, and he added that from the beginning it was not so. Jesus then states “And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for unchastity, and marries another commits adultery.” (Verse 9) This is a strong and hard statement. I believe that its application involves the motivation for divorce and the situation. Newt Gingrich divorced his second wife to marry his mistress of 8 years. This is a clear case of violating the command of Jesus. For many people, who find themselves divorced, I do not think that this is a blanket condemnation of remarriage.

Jesus blesses little children who are brought to him, even though his disciples try to run interference. He says “let the little children come to me, and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of heaven belongs.” He laid his hands on them and then departed. Given that I attended this church in Richardson from ages 4-6, I was a little child right here. I was blessed by the church and those who loved Jesus as they served in children’s ministries. There are many children at Wesley, and many babies being born. I want to always be blessing children and leading them to Jesus.

Verses 16-30 involve Jesus’ interaction with a man who wants to have eternal life. It turns out he is a young man who owns many possessions, and when Jesus tells him to sell all he has and give the proceeds to the poor, the man went away grieving. Jesus turned to his disciples and said “Truly I tell you, it will be hard for a rich person to enter the kingdom of heaven. Peter pointed out that the disciples had left everything to follow him, and Jesus affirmed them stating that “you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or fields, for my name’s sake, will receive a hundredfold, and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and the last will be first.” (Verses 28b-30)

Lord, be my guide today as I am a steward of your Gospel message. Use me to bless children, to encourage strong and healthy marriages, and to live the example of wise stewardship of possessions. Bless my adult children as they pursue your will in their lives. Bless my dear wife of 29 years as she lives for you and blesses many.

1 comment: