Wednesday, January 18, 2012

January 18, 2012

Last night we had a very good “turbo life group” session. I taught this session which included great participation from the dozen participants, whom we have invited to consider leading a new spring Life Group at Wesley. Pastor Mi Hyeon has engineered this training, and Kim, one of our life group coordinators, provided great support last night. I have always been convinced that participation in a small group is at the heart of discipleship, and every way that leaders of a church can cultivate this environment is energy well spent.

Yesterday I received my shipment of 5 copies of Aiming at Maturity by Stephen Rankin. As he has shared with me the drafts of the chapters over the last 3 years, it is great to have the finished, bound, colorful copy in hand. I hope to be an advocate for this work, just as I have endorsed it with a few sentences on the back cover. Pastors need to be always “aiming at maturity,” and helping members do the same. Getting a vision of what this looks like is part of being on the right path.

Matthew 14

This chapter continues the narrative of Jesus’ public ministry. Verses 1-12 describe the events leading up to the beheading of John the Baptist as ordered by Herod when he granted a wish to the daughter of Herodias who pleased him by dancing at his birthday party. Jesus learns of John’s death and withdraws in a boat to a lonely place by himself. People hear about what he is doing, and they followed him on foot from the cities. (His boat was not very fast!) He had compassion for them and healed their sick. He blessed the five loaves and two fish, breaking them and instructing his disciples to distribute them. The entire crowd of about 5,000 men plus women and children ate and were satisfied.

From the tragic death of John the Baptist, to the feeding of the five thousand, Jesus leads as a servant who experiences the elements of life and helps people to experience God’s presence. On Sunday I am preaching on the question “Why can I not see God’s will for my life?” As we live in these ordinary, yet extraordinary times, I desire for the people of Wesley to experience life in community, to be aiming at maturity, and to experience the presence and power of Jesus in our midst.

Guide me today most Holy Lord as I serve You with joy. Fill me, use me, send me into this glorious day prepared to handle whatever may come and to turn people to You.

No comments:

Post a Comment