Thursday, January 5, 2012

January 5, 2012

Today I am aerating my calendar. I will hop on the Concours and head south to Arkansas for a day of riding, thinking, relaxing. There are no appointments on my schedule, and I need to get away. During the busy-ness of yesterday, the simple thought of getting away was refreshing! I have been working hard and pushing through the pressures of pastoral leadership. In the language of Solomon I tell myself that my labor is good and from the hand of God. Today I welcome the time and means to relax. I will take reading and study material with me, and stop at coffee shops and restaurants as needed through the morning. I will leave about sunrise, which today is 7:29.

We have received the first “seed catalog” of the year! My dad used to look forward to getting January seed catalogs, an early sign that spring is just around the corner. For me gardening is more a concept than a reality. I have a garden spot; I sow a few plants, and fight a few weeds and bugs. But I have yet to invest time or energy sufficient to be considered a gardener. It is good each year for me to work the soil and to be in touch with the cycles of nature and the mystery of life.

Ecclesiastes 2

In this chapter Solomon describes many of the things he has accomplished – houses, vineyards, gardens, parks, forests, ponds, slaves, concubines, fame, and pleasure. In verse 11 he concludes “Thus I considered all my activities which my hands had done and the labor which I had exerted, and behold all was vanity and striving after wind and there was no profit under the sun.” In verses 12-17 he considers the wisdom with which he has ruled, and realizes that his fate is the same as the fool (death?)

Solomon expresses despair as he ponders how he must leave everything he has done to those who come after him, whether a wise man or a fool. “Therefore I completely despaired of all the fruit of my labor for which I had labored under the sun.” (Verse 20) He reflects on his life in the third person “all his days his task is painful and grievous; even at night his mind does not rest. This too is vanity.” (Verse 21)

This chapter concludes with Solomon making some good observations about life in relationship to God and to wholeness. “There is nothing better for a man than to eat and drink and tell himself that his labor is good. This also I have seen that it is from the hand of God. For who can eat and who can have enjoyment without Him? For to a person who is good in His sight He has given wisdom and knowledge and joy…” (Verses 24-26a) Reading Ecclesiastes requires discernment and care how to take this skeptical wealthy wise guy. It does seem wise to enjoy the everyday pleasures of food, beverage and healthy work all from the hand of God. To have grandiose plans beyond this runs the risk of vanity.

Guide me today Lord as I journey through life, enjoying the country roads of Arkansas and the unseasonably warm weather. May my thoughts be your thoughts, my reflections clear and my intentions good and noble. Go before me and lead me in your righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment