Tuesday, January 24, 2012

January 24, 2012

This morning I will attend chapel at 8:00 in the Perkins chapel on the SMU campus and then breakfast with Steve Rankin. The remainder of the day will be spent with this Large Church Initiative seminar. I have scheduled a break in the afternoon. Last night we heard 3 bands in concert, Jars of Clay capping the night. We left at 9:25, with apparently much more to come.

Matthew 17

Jesus leads Peter, James and John up a high mountain. He was transfigured and spoke with Moses and Elijah. God spoke from a bright cloud saying “this is my son, the beloved, with him I am well pleased, listen to him.” Peter had been offering to build three dwellings there. After the voice spoke, Jesus was alone, and told the three not to disclose this to anyone until after “the son of man has been raised from the dead.”

I love this account of the transfiguration. It is a unique occurrence, taking the disciples completely by surprise. It was not repeated. They wanted to do something. Jesus apparently simply wanted them to experience it, which validated his ministry with the giver of the law and the greatest prophet, and the voice from heaven.

Guide me today, most holy Lord as I walk through the hours and take in everything you have for me today. You are God, I am your servant.

No comments:

Post a Comment