Wednesday, January 4, 2012

January 4, 2012

I have a knot in my stomach this morning, similar to the one I went to bed with. It could be from the dinner I overate last night at Houlihans with Bethany and Audrey, and more likely it is from the stress of leadership. Today is booked pretty solid with staff meeting, staff worship, staff lunch and spring 2012 planning.

This morning Bethany leaves for L.A. on a jet plane, don’t know when she’ll be back again. However, in 4 weeks we travel there to see her as I run in the Surf City marathon. I am further along in my marathon preparation than ever before, with my 21 miles on Monday, and time for a 24 miler in twelve days. I have never trained beyond 18 miles previously. Today my legs seem to be doing well on this second day of recovery from a long run. The Galloway run-walk-run method seems to be working well for me.

Last night in Iowa were the presidential caucuses, and the results fill the news this morning. Romney won by 8 votes. Rick Perry will drop out, Michelle Bachmann will continue on after finishing last, and the race for the white house will move on to the next primary in New Hampshire.

Psalm 3

David writes this "Morning Prayer" as he flees for his life from Jerusalem. His son Absalom has usurped the throne, and many citizens have turned against him. I am strengthened this morning by this Psalm.

“Thou, O Lord, art a shield about me, my glory and the One who lifts my head. I was crying to the Lord with my voice, and He answered me from His holy mountain. I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the Lord sustains me.” Yes, He is the one who sustains Bruce Baxter. Through it all I have learned to trust in Jesus.

“Salvation belongs to the Lord; Thy blessing be upon Thy people!” (Verse 8) In leading the church, it is so important to remember this truth, that salvation belongs to the Lord. I serve You today, risen, conquering king. Guide my steps, my words, my actions as I serve you as a pastor today. May your blessings be upon your people called Wesley United Methodist Church in Springfield Missouri.

No comments:

Post a Comment