Monday, January 23, 2012

January 23, 2012

I arose at 5:15 and flipped through yesterday’s Patriots-Ravens AFC playoff game. It was exciting to the end, and I feel for Billy Cundiff the kicker who missed a 32 yard field goal which would have tied the game with about 12 seconds left. Brady and the Patriots will proceed to the super bowl in Indianapolis in two weeks. What does it feel like to miss a field goal under that kind of pressure and scrutiny? I can only imagine.

Matthew 16

Peter makes a clear confession in verse 16. Asked by Jesus about what people were saying about him, he asks the disciples directly: “who do you say that I am?” Peter responded “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” I also make this confession and believe with all my heart that Jesus is the Messiah, the Christ, the son of the living God.

Jesus instructs his disciples with words that echo down through the centuries: “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow me. If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. And what do you benefit if you again the whole world but lose your own soul.” (Verses24-26) The application of these verses is huge. Today I ponder the questions – what does it mean for Bruce Baxter to take up his cross, and in what ways am I most tempted to hang on to my life, which would result in its ultimate loss? Like Billy Cundiff the field goal kicker, I must be willing to take on huge challenges and not to play it safe. I must follow where Christ leads, wherever that leads. I must serve each day with an unselfish and other-centered life that is intentional.

Guide me today, most holy Lord as I confess you as Messiah, take up my cross, and serve you through this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment