Friday, January 20, 2012

January 20, 2012

John Wigger, author of American Saint spoke in Columbia yesterday to the bishop’s peer mentor group. I read this book in 2010 and it is a fascinating study of a unique servant of Christ. Our conversation with Wigger was rich, insightful, and enlightening. We have been meeting as a group for 17 months as Bishop Schnase facilitates and teaches. We are pastors from large United Methodist churches in Missouri which are in the HCI process. Three of us are from Springfield, and our carpooling is a source of rich conversation and sharing best practices.

Today I have the morning to work on my sermon for Sunday – “Why Can’t I See God’s Will for My Life?” I always enjoy the labor of message development as it is a time to think, discern, write, create, and personally grow in my thinking about the relationship with God and the earthly journey. My approach Sunday will take on somewhat of a coach approach to spiritual direction, providing tools and good questions for answering this question. Preaching from Colossians 1 I will also tie in the mission statement – “to develop more fruitful disciples of Jesus Christ who worship, care and serve.”

Matthew 15

Jesus addressed the Pharisees and scribes who were accusing his disciples (and him) of “transgressing the tradition of the elders” by not sufficiently washing their hands. Jesus said to them “You hypocrites, rightly did Isaiah prophesy of you, saying, ‘this people honors me with their lips, but their heart is far away from me.’” (Matthew 15:7-8) I see that in every religious movement it is so easy for hypocrisy to develop as people say one thing and do another. John Wesley said that he was concerned that the people called Methodists would someday have the form of religion but lack the power of faith.

Lord, guide my steps, my words, my actions, my thoughts as I seek to love you authentically with a heart always drawing closer to you. Use me as a pastor and leader in this generation drawing souls nearer to you in this brief earthly journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment