Sunday, January 8, 2012

January 8, 2012

The world is calm at 5:39 am on this Sunday morning outside my door. I walked out onto my deck and was struck by the stillness. I imagined all my neighbors sleeping in their bedrooms, safe and comfortable. I am thankful for this neighborhood, and for this season of relative peace throughout our culture. There are people whose lives are in torment, and neighborhoods where fear stalks the dawn.

Job 1

This morning I am preaching the Good News from the book of Job. My title is “Why do the innocent suffer?” The scripture tells the story about Job, a man from Uz, “who was blameless and upright, one who feared God and turned away from evil.” (Verse 1) God asked Satan if he had considered Job, to which Satan replied that Job honors God because of the special protection and blessing God gives him. Satan proposes that if Job lost all he had, he would curse God. “The Lord said to Satan, ‘very well, all that he has is in your power; only do not stretch out your hand against him!’” (Verse 12). In one day, Job lost all his property and his 10 children. Rather than curse God he said “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked shall I return there; the Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; blessed be the name of the Lord.” (Verse 21)

I recognize God’s hand of blessing on my life. He has given me a strong body, an adequate mind, a wonderful wife, two marvelous children, a comfortable house, adequate transportation and all the food I need or want. I also realize that any or all of the above could disappear in a moment – of natural disaster, human malfeasance or illness. And I am confident that whatever befalls, it will be well with my soul. I can only imagine the pain and loss that others have experienced, like Job. My hope is in God, in whom I trust and believe.

Lord, speak through me today your words of faith, hope and love. May I represent you in every way possible, and be the servant leader you have called me to be among the people called Wesley United Methodist Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment