Thursday, August 12, 2010

August 12, 2010

8-12-10 Thursday, 6:00 am Springfield, 78 degrees, humid, clear.

We are in the midst of an August heat wave. Highs near 100 each day, dew point at
70. This is the weather we expect this time of year. It is interesting to me how much emphasis our culture puts on the weather. John Wesley often commented on the weather in his journal. In the Bible there seem to be fewer references to the weather, except for major events. Could it be that because we now measure the temperature, the dew point, the rainfall, the windspeed, we pay more attention? With daily record highs and lows, with averages and daily forecasts we have tools to evaluate and compare the weather. This might be an illustration of what we measure we make more important in our lives.

I Cor 7:25-40
In verses 29-31 Paul continues giving specific, practical advice. He observes that the “time that remains is very short”. There is much persecution of Christians, and he expects Christ to return very soon. He says “Those who weep or who rejoice or who buy things should not be absorbed by their weeping or their joy or their possession. Those who use the things of the world should not become attached to them.” I am reading the book Being Consumed by William Cavanaugh in preparation for my session with the PAUMCS secretaries in a couple of weeks. The topic of materialism and the Bible is most interesting to me. Since my conversion at age 18 I have pondered the role of possessions, and my natural inclination to desire more coupled with the spiritual discipline of living with less. I will continue to guard against being absorbed in weeping or in joy, and not become attached to the things of the world that I use.

Nehemiah 3:15-5:13
The reconstruction of the wall around Jerusalem goes forward, as each family and subgroup work under the leadership of various men. When it is about half-completed the surrounding enemies mock the effort and threaten to destroy it. Nehemiah faces this leadership challenge with several strategies that include arming the workers, making everyone and their servants stay in town so that are available for guard duty and construction, and he prays. There are so many lessons for the body of Christ and its leaders coming from this Old Testament book.

Guide me today most holy Lord as I invest myself in the leadership of your church and as I walk with you during this brief earthly journey. Guard me from being absorbed or attached in ways that lesson my focus upon your kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment