Saturday, August 7, 2010

August 7, 2010

8-7-10 Saturday, 10:00 am Kansas City

Unexpectedly I have spent the night in KC. Allen drove the church bus, and I rode along to pick up our team returning from Honduras. They were delayed leaving Honduras and thus missed the connection in Houston where they spent the night. They will arrive here around 2.

I had a great morning run. Not knowing the area I set off to explore. I chanced upon a running club’s 18 mile workout, joining it at about the 4 mile mark. It was most interesting trying to figure out what I was doing, who they were, how the course was marked, whether I should drink water from their aid stations, etc. I ended up running further and faster than I expected. Rather than run 5 or 6, I ran 7, and that with no walking. The power of community is amazing! This will provide a great metaphor as I ease in to my sermon on cults.

Rev 22:18-21

A warning not to add to nor subtract from any of the words of this book (Revelation). Deut 4:2 has a similar warning from Moses: “You must neither add anything to what I command you not take away anything from it, but keep the commandments of the Lord your God with which I am charging you.” Tomorrow as I teach about Christ-followers and Mormons I will apply this scripture – the last three verses of the Bible to our consideration of the followers of the book of Mormon.

Verse 20 “The one who testifies to these things says, ‘surely I am coming soon.’ Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!” These words create an expectation of Christ’s return. It is healthy to expect him to return soon. Next week I will consider the Jehovah’s witnesses, whose early leaders set exact dates for his return, none of which proved to be true.

Guide me today, Holy Lord, as I follow you and lead others to a closer walk with you as together we build your kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment