Friday, August 20, 2010

August 20, 2010

8-20-10 Friday, 6:15 am Springfield, 78 degrees, dawn.

The season continues to advance, with the sun rising later and setting earlier each day. I am surprisingly well rested this morning. Last night, after I took Audrey to the airport, bound for Los Angeles I came home and ran 3.5 miles in the sweltering heat. This makes two evenings in a row I have run into the darkness, and my body is responding to this discipline. Returning home I worked for a while preparing for my 2hours with the PAUMCS (church secretaries) retreat this afternoon at Wesley.

It is such a beautiful morning I will hop on the KLR (motorcycle) and go for a short ride after scriptures and prayer.

Psalm 37

The writer says don’t worry about the wicked, they will not be around long. If the numbers of this psalm are reversed we get 73 which also involves the writer almost slipping away from faith at the observation that the wicked are fat and happy, with no worries and they mock God. Yesterday at Donna James’ funeral Psalm 73 was read and I expounded upon it, applying it to her life, and our lives as we mourn her death to breast cancer. These two Psalms (37 and 73) make a good package, especially in this “toxic” world in which we live.

Proverbs 21:23-24 reminds me to “watch your tongue and keep your mouth shut, and you will stay out of trouble. Mockers are proud and haughty; they act with boundless arrogance.” This is a great reminder for Bruce Baxter on this 20th day of August, and every day. I have found the proverbs to be exceptionally helpful throughout my journey of faith, giving practical useable counsel for daily living.

Guide me O Lord today, as I prepare for Sunday’s message, prepare for a teaching session on “The Bible and Materialism”, and proceed through all the hours of this day by faith, walking with you as your kingdom comes, and your will is done on earth as it is in heaven. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment