Saturday, August 28, 2010

August 28, 2010

8-28-10 Saturday, 8:15 am 70 degrees, clear, calm, beautiful morning on my deck in Springfield.

Last night I got the front tire mounted on the motorcycle with the help of my neighbor Jim. He has the same type of bike and is very mechanical. I was struggling with the wheel and tire when he walked by. Today I will write on my sermon in the morning, go to lunch with Mel, finish my sermon work in the afternoon, and then work around the house in the evening, mowing, trimming, sweeping, mopping, getting ready for Sunday, and for my beloved Audrey’s return from LA tomorrow evening.

II Cor 2:12-17

Paul had opportunity to preach the good news in the city of Troas, but because Titus had not yet arrived with word about the church at Corinth, he had no peace of mind and went on to Macedonia. This bit of autobiography is interesting. With an open door to preach in Troas, why did he leave? I can imagine the inner turmoil of wondering where Titus was, and what was happening in that church he to which he had just written.

Verse 14 is powerful: “But thank God! He has made us his captives and continues to lead us along in Christ’s triumphal procession. Now he uses us to spread the knowledge of Christ everywhere, like a sweet perfume.” Yesterday during a hospital visit, I had the privilege of sharing Christ and leading a man in a sweet prayer of faith and reception to the saving blood and sanctifying spirit of Christ.

These verses would make a great three points:
• He has made us his captives
• He continues to lead us in Christ’s triumphal procession
• He uses us to spread the knowledge of Christ everywhere

In verse 15 he metaphorizes after-shave lotion as he says that “our lives are a Christ-like fragrance rising up to God. But this fragrance is perceived differently by those who are being saved and by those who are perishing.” He explains that to those who are perishing, it is like a “dreadful smell of death and doom,…but to those who are being saved, … a life-giving perfume.” Lately several people have asked me when I will preach a “fire and brimstone” sermon. Even my new acquaintance the atheist closed his email with “give ‘em hell”. Perhaps I will work on a message that to some will be sweet, and to some will seem like the stench of doom. Paul closes this powerful paragraph with the question “and who is adequate for such a task as this?” (verse 16b)

I ponder this question often. Who is adequate for this task? I daily am aware of my inadequacies. Almost each Sunday I stand amazed at what God is doing in and through my ministry. The truth is that no one is adequate for this task of spreading the knowledge of Christ everywhere, and each of us, pastors and lay Christ-followers must rely on the Holy Spirit for this task. As Jesus said, we must abide in Him and He in us to bear much fruit. (text for tomorrow’s sermon)

Lord, as I follow in Your triumphal procession, guide me as I serve you and rely upon your spirit to use my inadequacies to be fruitful in extending your kingdom on earth. Thank you for Wesley UMC, for each person through whom you are working a powerful witness of love and grace. I am your captive Lord. Today I live for you, and die to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment