Saturday, August 14, 2010

August 14, 2010

8-14-10 Saturday, 7:30 am Springfield, 72 degrees, light rain.

There was a 6:00 am run that I had considered for this morning. But a rough night of sleep (shouldn’t have had a Coke late in the afternoon!) and the gentle early rain convinced me that I could run later and get some needed rest. For me, I am always seeking the healthy path – is it shorter sleep with early rising and exercise, or more sleep, without being indulgent. This is a daily balancing act.

Nehemiah 7:73b – 9:21
The people are gathered, the word is read, the festival of booths is reestablished as commanded by Moses. Reading this always causes me to consider what part of God’s word and will might be currently neglected, by me, by the church. The Mormons and the Jehovah Witnesses are careful to order their lives according to their understanding of God’s will. Given that their Christology is off, their fervor and dedication are commendable. Last night I encouraged the children and their families at the close of worship arts camp to love the Lord with all their heart, soul, mind and strength as Jesus commanded, and as David practiced. I need to be careful not to be too reserved (which is my nature), and to fully invest myself in leading the church and developing fruitful disciples of Jesus Christ who worship, care, and serve.

Today I will exercise, work a little on lawn and garden, write sermon, work towards planning the Tuesday funeral, share in a family birthday party, and prepare spiritually, physically and emotionally for tomorrow, which will include 4 worship services, dedicating our new Welcome Center, and a memorial service at 3:00. Thank you Lord for this Saturday in mid August, a day to live fully for you, in you, and through you.

No comments:

Post a Comment