Thursday, August 19, 2010

August 19, 2010

8-19-10 Thursday, 6:55 am Springfield, 69 degrees sunny.

I ran last night as I got home from church around 7:30. I enjoyed a 3 mile workout with the temperatures moderating as the sun dropped below the horizon. At home I cooked Monday’s trout and Sunday’s okra and had a side of fresh picked tomatoes from my garden. It was a very fresh and non-processed dinner. Today I lead the Peer-mentoring group of pastors going through the HCI and we host the funeral of Donna James at 2:00. Tonight Audrey flies to Los Angeles for a much anticipated week with Bethany.

I Corinthians 12

This chapter begins a section on spiritual gifts. Chapter 13, wedged as it is between 12 and 14 describes the way spiritual gifts are to be used – in love that is not selfish, pushy, nor impatient. Paul states in 12:4-7 that “there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of services, but the same Lord, and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who activates all of them in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the spirit for the common good.” I can imagine what life was like in the exciting church at Corinth, as believers were walking in the power of the Holy Spirit. This is a different time and place, and my desire is for the churches under my influence to experience this same power and life.

Lord, may your body called Wesley UMC be filled with your Spirit as we surround a grieving family and celebrate your presence and power in the life of your faithful servant who has now entered her eternal rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment