Wednesday, August 25, 2010

August 25, 2010

8-25-10 Wednesday, 3:55 am Springfield, full moon shining through high thin clouds, 68 degrees.

Once every two or three months I will awake before 5 am with significant energy and initiative for the day. I know that some people make a practice of rising very early, most do not. I know that I need about 7 – 8 hours of sleep on a regular basis to function well, but I can make it on 5-6 hours now and then. Today is one of those days. As I lay awake at 3:30, my mind was energized by several thoughts – the workshop last night in which Bob Farr led nearly 100 leaders from Wesley through a session teaching about how the world is different from 1956, and that the church needs to work differently to reach this world for Christ.

I was also energized by the three new books that arrived from Amazon yesterday in the mail – American Saint by John Wigger, about Francis Asbury and the Methodists; The Land Between: Finding God in Difficult Transitions by Jeff Manion, a book I will use for at least one sermon in October, and Assaulting the Gates by Paul D. Borden subtitled Aiming All God’s People at the Mission Field. I love to get new books, and relish the thought of devouring them. I rarely get around to reading more than about 20 minutes in the evening, and this early rising today provides me time and space to do so.

My mind was also engaged around all that I will be doing in the next few days – praying with pastors this morning, hosting the District Ordained Ministry Team this afternoon, leading our staff to Tulsa tomorrow to visit Asbury UMC, and starting a new sermon series on Sunday entitled “Fruitful Living in a Toxic World.” This morning I do not need sleep, but action and preparation. With a fresh pot of coffee, I will launch into this beautiful early morning.

I Cor 16:1-24
This chapter is Paul’s personal and practical instructions to the church. He is writing from Ephesus (verse 8) where he has a “wide open door for a great work”, even though many oppose him. He gives instructions for the weekly collection for the offering for Christians in Jerusalem. He commends several leaders, including Aquilla and Priscilla, Stephanas and his household, along with Fortunatus and Achaicus.
Paul gives a simple encouragement “Be on guard. Stand firm in the Faith. Be courageous (in the Greek “be men”) Be Strong. And do everything with love.” (Verses 13-14). Joshua is told to be strong and courageous, David exhibits these qualities. Esther is encouraged by Mordecai to boldly go before the king on behalf of God’s people. This is needed by leaders of God’s people – watchfulness, firmness, courage, strength, love. I must continue to cultivate, live and lead with strength, courage, and love.

Holy Lord, guide me on this special day that you have made, as I seek to live today bearing fruit for your kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment