Tuesday, August 17, 2010

August 17, 2010

8-17-10 Tuesday, 5:54 am Springfield, 68 degrees, clear.

My automatic sprinkling system is performing well. Three times a week, for 20 minutes per zone, the lawn and landscaping is watered without any human effort. This is amazing to me, and often feels wasteful and indulgent. Grass in Missouri typically turns brown in August, and bounces back to green in September. Around the world so many millions of people struggle to find and transport safe water, as we automatically pour countless gallons of safe, purified water onto our lawns. When we were negotiating for the purchase of this house I inquired if we could leave off the sprinkling system, and I learned that as a “spec” house it was already installed. So, I participate in this indulgence as I try to keep our yard minimally green as do most of the neighbors.

I Cor 11:1-16

Paul writes about men, women, Christ, and the church. He describes how the current “custom” is for women to pray with their heads covered, and men to pray without anything on their head. He explains that “the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.” (verse3). This verse carries many implications. For centuries women have experienced prejudice and limitations because of this verse. Bill Gothard used this verse and others to teach that a Christian woman always needs the covering of spiritual protection of a man – father, husband, brother. I appreciate the freedom that women are now experiencing in many parts of the body of Christ, and I ponder the meaning and implication of this chapter of holy Scripture.

Psalm 35

David asks God to fight against those who fight against him. This is a bold prayer, made by a man after God’s own heart who is not afraid to call upon the God who has saved him. Lord, may I walk in similar boldness as I seek to serve you with confidence, joy and obedience.

Proverbs 21:17 “Those who love pleasure become poor.” This is a simple and profound statement, especially in this generation. Often it seems that pleasure is the object of modern life, and its pursuit the main vocation. This proverb states the reality that pleasure is elusive, and the pursuit thereof leads to want. Guard me holy Lord from the love of pleasure, guide me in the disciplined life of following Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment