Tuesday, August 3, 2010

August 3, 2010

8-3-10 Tuesday, 6:30 am Springfield, 77 degrees, clear, humid.

The high was 100 yesterday, and is forecast to do the same today. I had a good visit in St. Louis with my son David and his wife Danelle, and I bumped into Rick and Ardell Oliver, whose car I ended up driving back to Springfield when my motorcycle developed electrical problems. Today is the August primary. I will vote on my way into the office, and after Scripture I will read up on the candidates, and the ballot issues.

II Chronicles 33:14-34:33
The reigns of Manasseh, Amon and Josiah. Manasseh turned from his evil ways and restored the altar of the Lord, sacrificing upon it. “He also encouraged the people of Judah to worship the Lord, the God of Israel. However, the people still sacrificed at the pagan shrines, though only to the Lord their God.” During Josiah’s reign, and the remolding of the Temple, the scroll of the Word of God is found, and he realizes that his people have not been obeying that Word. Sacrificing at pagan shrines would be an example of well-meaning but uninformed Jews disobeying God’s Word which is clear about only offering a sacrifice at the temple.

Is there any similar practice in our culture, in which well-meaning people ignore the Word of God? I continue to ponder the commandment about honoring the Sabbath. There are those who today keep it in a legalistic manner. Are they more pleasing to God? It could be that tithing is a current neglect, and caring for the poor, etc. By reading scripture every day, and reading through the scripture in a year there is less risk that a person or a people will lose touch with God’s will the way these Israelites did when the scripture was simply lost in the temple, and not read by anyone. I value God’s word, and as I prepare to preach a series of messages examining religious cults I will emphasize the value of daily searching God’s holy Word.

In the last several days I have witnessed God’s hand at work powerfully in the timing of my steps and the events that have unfolded. Interestingly, I can go weeks without any special sense of God’s leading as I simply live obediently and serve faithfully. Then, as I have recently experienced, there is event after event that demonstrates the clarity of God’s active leading in my life. Thank you Lord for the ebb and flow of my awareness of your presence and your power. I live today in the full expectation that my steps are ordered by you, and that there is nothing that is “coincidental”. I walk by faith, investing my life in serving You. May your kingdom come, today, on earth as it is in heaven. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment