Tuesday, August 24, 2010

August 24, 2010

8-24-10 Tuesday, 6:55 am Springfield, 64 delightful degrees!

I am stiff, sore and moving slowly after a day of flying, working out, mowing the lawn, and working on the motorcycle. Yesterday was a great day all around. This week is shaping up to be a busy and fruitful week. On Thursday our staff travels to Tulsa to visit Asbury UMC, pastored by Tom Harrison. We will observe how they have organized ministry and have grown to nearly 3000 in weekly worship.

I Cor 15:29-58

The apostle continues to teach about the resurrection, even mentioning the obscure practice of people being baptized for those who are dead (a practice current with Mormons). His closing admonition is powerful: “So, my dear brothers and sisters, be strong and immovable. Always work enthusiastically for the Lord, for you know that nothing you do for the Lord is ever useless.” (verse 58) I would like to include this verse in my fruitfulness series on the Sunday of “Risk-taking Mission and Service.” To work enthusiastically for the Lord is a daily opportunity for every believer. As one privileged to have my vocation in pastoring and church leadership, enthusiasm is critical. I have observed that some who lead churches grow weary, and with good cause. Today I am recharged and ready!

Psalm 39:1-13

“Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered – how fleeting my life is” (verse 4). This is a good prayer for every believer to pray each morning. I closed yesterday’s journal entry with the prayer “May my life today be an affirmation of the blessed assurance of life beyond death, the power of the resurrection.” I remembered that prayer through the day, even wondering if something unusual would happen.

Today I pray this from Psalm 39 and I Cor 15 “remind me that my days are numbered, and that nothing I do for You is ever useless!”.

No comments:

Post a Comment