Thursday, August 5, 2010

August 5, 2010

8-5-10 Thursday, 7:20 am Springfield 74 degrees, thunderstorm.

As is sometimes my practice, I was watching the Today show to catch up on world events. My satellite signal was just interrupted by the thunderstorm in progress. The story on air was about 40 billionaires who, invited by Warren Buffet and Bill Gates have pledged to give ½ of their wealth to charity, rather than pass it on to their heirs. This is a lot of money, and a wise plan. Hopefully this will provide examples for folks with lesser fortunes to consider leaving portions to good causes, such as the church, while providing an appropriate amount for their heirs.

Today is the last working day for the team in Honduras. I will be praying for them that the weather is adequate for them to finish the work at hand. Yesterday I was in contact with the Mozambique coordinator about beginning to prepare for leading a team from Wesley to visit our partner church and womens' shelter.

Ezra 1-2
King Cyrus of Persia (modern Iraq) proclaims that Israelites may return to their land and rebuild the temple. These scriptures list the gold, silver and other items, and the names of leaders and people who were involved. This was a massive movement and restoration. This book of Ezra and also Nehemiah will describe the details, the difficulties and the decisions that were involved in this exciting time.

Today as many as 20 leaders of Wesley will participate in the 2 day Leadership Summit hosted by Willow Creek. I am looking forward to this more than I usually have, as this is my 5th experience with this summit. Adam Hamilton will be one of the presenters. Guide me Lord as I serve you on this stormy morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment