Friday, August 6, 2010

August 6, 2010

8-6-10 Friday, 6:45 am Springfield, 72 degrees, partly cloudy on my deck with humming birds feasting on sugar water.

This morning the team in Honduras is packing their bags for the long trek home. I will ride in the church bus with Allen to pick them up at the Kansas City airport this evening. Yesterday at the Willow Creek Leadership conference live broadcast to Springfield there was an emphasis made for church-to-church partnerships, organized by Compassion International. We have two such partnerships, with an Honduran and a Mozambique congregation. I am planning to lead a team to Mozambique in the coming year. It is vital for us to nurture these relationships and to benefit from the spiritual fruit growing in both places.

I Cor 2:6-3:4
Paul is writing to a church which he founded. He addresses the manner in which he speaks to them, using words formed by the power of the Holy Spirit, and not using the wisdom of this world. He states that he still must speak to them as spiritually immature, giving them “milk” and not “meat” because (3:3) “you are still controlled by your sinful nature. You are Jealous of one another and quarrel with each other. Doesn’t that prove you are controlled by your sinful nature? Aren’t you living like people of the world?”

Yesterday Adam Hamilton was one of the speakers at the Leadership Summit. God has been using him in powerful ways since he founded Church of the Resurrection in 1990. Yesterday his topic concerned the temptation and fall of church leaders, particularly into sexual sins. He did a great job, and his words were filled with spiritual power and wisdom.

This weekend I have the privilege of bringing the gospel message to the Wesley congregation. I will begin a three-part series on religious cults. My goal is to allow the Holy Spirit to guide my words so that Christ is lifted up, believers are encouraged, and seekers are given a clear presentation of God’s grace and invitation to follow.

Guide me holy Lord as I walk with you today. Thank you for this portion of your word which feeds my soul and is sweeter than the liquid in the hummingbird feeder. I desire to be ever growing in maturity and fruitfulness as I journey down this earthly path.

No comments:

Post a Comment