Friday, November 12, 2010

November 12, 2010

11-12-10 Friday, 7:15 am Springfield, 57 degrees, cloudy.

The last two mornings I have had breakfast meetings with pastors I am mentoring. Today I have scheduled a day of preparing for the weekend sermon and worship. The upcoming church conference and vote on the five prescriptions weighs upon me, as it should with the future direction and energy of the church under consideration. I am fasting today as part of my regular weekly rhythm, and will extend it to the evening as our district “house church” team prepares for the first worship service on Sunday.

Hebrews 11:1-16 (One of my favorite chapters of Scripture!)

Reading this chapter from the NASB Bible Audrey gave me as an engagement present, I feel washed over by faith. Beginning with the definition “faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen” this chapter describes the faith of generations. Verse 6 states that “without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him.” Noah, Abraham and Sarah are lifted up as examples.

Preaching Sunday on the topic “Almost Christian” I am evaluating the difference between an “almost” and an “altogether” Christian. Faith is clearly substantial, and risk must be part of the actions of “altogether” Christians. The question for me is what are the risks I am taking that flow from faith, how is my life on the leading edge of God’s activity in the world today? This is a great question for every believer, with the opposite question being “is there anything in my life that is simply going through the motions, playing it safe, trying to look good so that it appears that I am a Christian?” I will ponder these thoughts as I head into Sunday’s message.

Guard me Lord from being “almost”. Lead me forward in faith as you did Noah, Abraham, Sarah, Wesley, Asbury, Bonheoffer and others. Father, I live today by faith in you, who I cannot see but whom I know that You Are, and that You are a rewarder of those who seek You.

No comments:

Post a Comment