Wednesday, November 17, 2010

November 17, 2010

11-17-10 Wednesday, 4:15 am Springfield, 35 degrees, clear

Last night we had 227 people attend the Church Conference. The main item was the vote on the Five Prescriptions from HCI, following four town hall meetings. The results were 174 yes, 53 no. So now the work begins, resting heavily upon my shoulders, to appoint groups who will study and make recommendations concerning our vision, our staff, our worship services, our building, and our communication. I welcome these prescriptions, the coach Doug Anderson with whom I will be working, and the accountability that is built into this process. I am not sure why I have had trouble sleeping this night, I imagine it relates to the weight of leadership and these prescriptions.

I need to read the first half of the book Results that Last by Quint Studer this morning in preparation for the Bishop’s Peer Mentoring group on Friday. I will also respond to Facebook requests, develop an agenda for our staff meeting this morning, and do some preparation for the Peer Mentoring Group I lead on Thursday. At 7:00 am this morning I pray at Wesley with a prayer partner for the people who are not yet connected to the kingdom. Thank you for this morning Lord, strengthen me for the tasks at hand.

James 1:1-18
Who should not expect to receive anything from God? Those whose loyalty is divided between God and the world! (verses 7-8)
The poor who are believers have something to boast about – God has honored them. (verse 9) The rich should boast that God has humbled them. By the standards of the world’s economy, I am rich – for the foreseeable future I will have all I need and more. I am humbled by this circumstance, and I need to stay closely connected to the poor, locally and around the world, as God has honored them. Though riches seem permanent, verse 11 states that “the rich will fade away with all of their achievements.”

Psalm 116:1-19
“I love the Lord because he hears my voice and my prayer for mercy.” This is a great Psalm, and as I read it during this early morning hour is speaks deeply to me. “The Lord protects those of childlike faith. … Let my soul be at rest again, for the Lord has been good to me.” (verses7-8)

Today I will serve you, holy Lord, with faith, in the power of your Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment