Tuesday, November 16, 2010

November 16, 2010

11-16-10Tuesday, 7:59 am Springfield, raining, 43 degrees

I am looking forward to today. Audrey made it home safely from Los Angeles last night, having surprised Bethany by attending her opera at Azusa. My “sabbath” went well yesterday, with rest, attending to details of family paperwork, a great 6 mile run (averaging 9:53 a mile), tuning up the Bajaj scooter, and dinner with Jon. This evening we host a fourth town hall meeting, and then the Church Conference to vote on the 5 prescriptions followed by the regular annual business.

Hebrews 13:1-25; Psalm 115:1-18

Reading this chapter of Hebrews, and then the Psalm, I found that almost each verse jumped off the page, and related to my current thinking. As I read scripture regularly, following a plan, (this year The One Year Bible) there is usually a verse or two that stands out. Sometimes, like today, each progressive sentence penetrates to my core and challenges, informs, comforts, directs. It is a mystery to me how this happens, and it is a testimony to the power of the Holy Scriptures that these writings, nearly 2000 years old, speak to the heart of a man reading them in Missouri in the year 2010.

Guide me Lord as I offer through You a continual sacrifice of praise, proclaiming my allegiance to the name of Jesus. I will not forget to do good and to share with those in need. I will continue in the work of watching over souls, knowing that I am accountable to You for them, and I do this with joy. I thank you that you have equipped me with all I need for doing your will. I pray that you will produce in me, through the power of Jesus Christ, every good thing that is pleasing to you, with all glory and honor for ever and ever! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment