Saturday, November 27, 2010

November 27, 2010

11-27-10 Saturday, 8:15 am Springfield, 35 degrees, clear and calm

I had an odd dream last night in which my mother, in her 80s with COPD was running a marathon. My dad, back at their hotel, needed me for several things. I tried to watch for my mom at the 6 mile mark, but couldn’t get there. She showed up back at the hotel, saying she got to the pizza amusement park, bought 6 tickets and rode some of the rides and decided to quit the marathon. I am not sure what this bizarre dream means, other than that I was thinking about my deceased parents during Thanksgiving, and somehow running the turkey trot and my mother in a marathon were connected.

2 Peter 1:1-21
Peter explains why he is writing, that the Lord Jesus Christ has shown him that he must shortly leave this earthly life, and he wants to pass on the firm remembrance of his experiences. In verses 5-7 he describes a progression of faith that is a formula for spiritual growth. In my early 20s I spent a very fruitful weekend alone in a cabin in Kentucky studying these verses - … giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; and to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; and to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.” (KJV) Verse 8 states the results: “For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

As I contemplate “finishing well”, investing my remaining life in eternity, one central, recurring theme emerges, and that is discipleship, spiritual formation in myself and in others. I have been investing in discipleship since the summer of 1974, and “twill be my theme in glory”. I must refocus each day on how to apply this life work to the here and now. Peter is doing so as he writes this letter. Today as a pastor I will work hard on my message for tomorrow, on visiting, and on encouraging other leaders of the church in the ministries in which they serve Christ.

Guide me most precious Lord Jesus as I serve you today. Guide my diligence as I add to my faith virtue, and all the rest. It is for You that I live this day, in Missouri, as a pastor, husband, father, friend.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you again, Pastor Baxter, for your words of guidance and truth as we all strive to be better disciples of Christ. I am so thankful for the Disciple 1 class that I am in at Wesley, and that I have joined the Methodists who are very serious about becoming better disciples. May God continue to strengthen and guide you as you lead our congregation. Also, I'm very glad I finally figured out how to leave a comment! I had to sign in under Google, and not my Yahoo account.
    ~Kim Banner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pastor Bruce

    What a great idea to start a blog. I am sure that many will find it to be helpful and will appreciate it more than you will know. God bless your ministry!

    ReplyDelete