Saturday, November 20, 2010

November 20,10

11-20-10 Saturday, 8:45 am Springfield, 42 degrees.

We had a good meeting in Columbia yesterday. On the trip up and back with Jon and Bob we had exceptionally good conversation about our churches, and our practices and processes. I was teasing them about flying up next time in the Cherokee, and they are resistant. Chris from Joplin would fly with me, I might have to do this next time. Our flying club is pursuing the purchase of a third airplane, a Cherokee Six, which I have always wanted to fly. When we sell 5 additional shares, we will purchase one, and then I would have access to three planes, instead of the one I now fly.

Ezekiel 40:28 – 41:26
In these verses the prophet is being shown around the “ideal temple”, and it is described in detail. I have consulted my copy of Redpath’s commentary, complete with diagram of this temple. This commentary is part of the Westminster series, and was published in 1907. It reminds me that I have a continuing interest in serious Biblical studies, and I must persistently pursue this in order to increase my fruitfulness as a pastor.

James 4:1-17
Here is continuing practical advice from this leader of the Jerusalem church. It identifies the evil desires within as the source of quarrels and fights. We are reminded that “God opposes the proud but favors the humble (verse 6b).”
Verses 7-8 have a great application for me today, and for every believer, every fully devoted follower of Christ: “So humble yourselves before God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Come close to God, and God will come close to you. Wash your hands, you sinners; purify your hearts, for your loyalty is divided between God and the world.”

This is my action and prayer today. I humble myself before You, most holy Lord, as I resist the devil and all his temptations. I draw near to You right now, and I believe that You are near to me in this quiet morning devotion. My loyalty is completely in You, and not divided. Guard me from anything that would become a wedge between us. In Jesus name, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment