Saturday, November 6, 2010

November 6, 2010

11-6-10 Saturday, 6:12 am Springfield, 25 degrees.

Hurricane Tomas slammed into Haiti yesterday, where more than a million people are still in tents after the January earthquake. I cannot imagine the heartbreak and suffering of these people and those who serve them. As I sit here in my comfortable, safe, warm house and view the images of flooding through the tent communities, I feel insulated from the suffering, but clearly aware of the need. Through our apportionment and second mile giving, the United Methodist Church is at work in Haiti, where two of our leaders (Sam Dixon and Clint Rabb) died in the earthquake in January. The world is now “flat”, and daily I desire to invest my time, energy and resources to produce the greatest fruit.

Hebrews 7:18-28
This section continues describing Jesus as the ultimate high priest, who is once and for all, who does not need to offer sacrifices for his own sins, nor does he need to be replaced when he dies, as he will live forever. “He is the kind of high priest we need because he is holy and blameless, unstained by sin. He has been set apart from sinners and has been given the highest place of honor in heaven.” (verse 26)
A note in the Wesley Study Bible under this section states that “Wesley was clear that all Methodist activity should be founded in Christ, be derived from Christ, grow in Christ, and lead to Christ. Christ’s life, death and resurrection serve as the ultimate self-revelation of God, and of God’s grace, love, and intention for us all.” It is spiritually profitable for me to focus on Jesus in the office of high priest, as he now makes intercession for me and for the church at the Father’s right hand.

I just googled the television show “Then Came Bronson”, and discovered it was produced in 1969-1970. I remember watching it and have often wondered about it. The plot consists of a newspaper writer whose friend takes his own life, and thus Bronson buys back his Harley from the widow, and sets out alone. He helps people along the way as a catalyst for change. I should get the book or the dvd of the pilot movie. Interesting that I should think of this today. I have been reading
American Saint by Wigger. It could have been titled "Then Came Asbury!"
Guide me Lord as I serve you, worship you, and represent you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment