Friday, November 19, 2010

November 19, 2010

11-19-10 Friday, 5:17 am Springfield, 36 degrees, clear.

It feels good to be up early, even though I have been short of sleep many days this week. I will meet two pastors at 7:15 for the ride to Columbia, where we will participate in the bishop’s peer mentoring group. I will make a presentation about our HCI experience at Wesley, and focus on the topic of “change”. Yesterday I led a peer mentoring group of 5 pastors here in the Ozarks in session 13, which covered the topic of confrontations.

I am reading Results that Last by Quint Studer. He proposes three key activities for leaders – dealing with low performers, making rounds, and managing up. Quint was a hospital president, among other medical leadership roles, and now is a writer and consultant for leaders. I like his work so far. We will discuss it today with the Bishop.

James 2:18 – 3:18
Faith is demonstrated by works. The tongue is dangerous, a “flame of fire”, a “whole world of wickedness.” It is “set on fire by hell itself” Controlling it springs from spiritual maturity, just as fresh water springs from a good well. “Wherever there is jealousy and selfish ambition, there you will find disorder and evil of every kind.” (3:16) This seems like an unrelated thought, but really is a continuation of the dangers of the tongue. I am aware that in the church, the community of faith, jealousy and selfish ambition are like cancer, and spread disorder set on fire by hell itself.

Guide me Lord as a servant leader in the church. Give me wisdom, choice words, control of my tongue, spiritual maturity and the courage to confront evil, wickedness, selfish ambition in myself and in the church, to your glory and the advancement of your kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment