Tuesday, November 23, 2010

November 23, 2010

11-23-10 Tuesday, 7:15 am Springfield, 33 degrees.

The temperature dropped like a rock last night, and it is clear and cold, feeling like it should in late November. Audrey and I cancelled our movie plans as a tornado warning was in effect at the leading edge of the storm generated by the cold front. We came home and watched “Master and Commander” on DVD, a very good movie set in 1800 onboard a British naval ship.

I have finished the biography of Asbury by Wigger, reading last night about his death in March of 1816 at a home in Virginia. He traveled and preached up to the very end, with the quality of his sermons declining, but his holiness of life shining brightly.

I Peter1:13-2:10
“You must be holy because I am holy.” (1:16) “So get rid of all evil behavior. Be done with all deceit, hypocrisy, jealousy, and all unkind speech. Like newborn babies, you must crave pure spiritual milk so that you will grow into a full experience of salvation.” (2:1-2) Asbury, Wesley, and all who have followed them have preached, taught and lived these verses. As I read them afresh this morning as part of the “God Sightings One Year Bible” I feel the impact of the urgency and the imperative of the apostle Peter directly to Bruce Baxter to daily choose holiness of heart and life through the power of Jesus Christ.

“You are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession. As a result you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light.” (2:9) This verse was lifted up by Luther and was part of the reformation and the emphasis upon the “priesthood of all believers”. It relates directly to the holiness that Peter and sincere followers of Christ have lived and taught. Just as there was ritual cleansing for the priests to prepare them for service in the temple, so in Christ there is cleansing for all who follow and become his “royal priests, a holy nation.”

Guide me holy Lord as I live today as your very own possession. Direct my steps, empower me to grow continually into the full experience of salvation. Use me as a priest, a pastor, a friend and counselor as you choose. I am yours.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, Pastor Baxter! Wonderful words to start this beautiful day. Thank you for your spiritual guidance and thoughtful words.

    P.S. Master and Commander is one of my most favorite movies! My son and I watched Russell Crowe in "3:10 to Yuma" a couple of days ago. He's one of my favorite actors.

    God's Blessings to you today. ~Kim Banner

    ReplyDelete