Tuesday, November 2, 2010

November 2, 2010

11-2-10 Tuesday, 7:20 am, Election Day! 47 degrees, cloudy, scattered showers.

I have just discovered that I have double booked lunch tomorrow. I will need to cancel one of them. When this happens, my rule of thumb is to honor the first commitment made, and also to take into consideration the impact of canceling. In this case, it is not as complicated as sometimes, because the first commitment made (a month ago) was to a long-time friend for lunch, and the second commitment ( a couple of weeks ago) was to attend a luncheon with pastors around a book study. I somehow failed to place on my google calendar the lunch with John – I suspect I made a technical error by not scrolling to the bottom and hitting “save” on my new Droid.

Hebrews 4:1-16
There is a rest for the people of God. This chapter of Hebrews has always been a blessing to me. As I “rested” on my Sabbath yesterday I was mindful of the rest promised to God’s people. This chapter is teaching much more than a weekly rest, it is reminding us that God has prepared a rest from works-righteousness. This is a rest to be entered into by faith, something which the Israelites failed to to.
Related to this rest, verse 12 makes a profound statement about the Word of God; “For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is shaper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.” I experience the Bible, God’s word as being alive and powerful. Daily it impacts me in soul and spirit, exposing my innermost thoughts and desires. Yesterday I was mindful of the inductive Bible Study that Audrey has developed to teach older youth how to study the Bible for themselves. We need to get this developed into a form that can be published, as I think it is a valuable tool.

Guide me this week, most holy Lord as I journey through this “land between”, keeping you at the center, being mindful of those around me, and taking one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment