Sunday, November 13, 2011

November 13, 2011

“See what love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God; and that is what we are.” I John 3:1-3. The apostle John wrote this near the end of his life, probably as the lone surviving disciple from the original 12. His goal in this letter was to teach about love and to give confidence to the followers of Christ, that they were in fact loved, and called to love one another.

As a pastoral leader in the church, I want to teach and model this love that Jesus lived, and that He has called each of us in his body to replicate. It almost sounds too soupy or ethereal to say that we are called to love one another. Verse 18 smacks this directly: “Little children, let us love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action.” The example of adoptive parents is truly love in action – taking all the physical, emotional and financial needs of children and giving themselves to meeting these needs. AS followers of Christ, in the church we must do the same. This is a challenge in churches of all sizes. I am currently experiencing the challenges in the context of the very large church. There is a way to live this out and today I have the opportunities that will be present through Wesley and the morning of worship and service.

Having gone to bed early last night, I am rested and ready for the day, even at this early hour. When I arise while the clock says 4 something, I almost always think of John Wesley and his early and vigorous schedule. I will read scripture, pray, work on my sermon, and get ready for this morning of pastoral ministry.

Guide me holy Lord as I seek to love with the love which you have for me and all your children.

No comments:

Post a Comment