Sunday, November 6, 2011

November 6, 2011

My goal this morning is to teach and demonstrate that the purpose of worship is to focus upon God and to get our focus off ourselves. In the sanctuary we will sing “O Worship the King”, “Glorify Thy Name”, “Majesty, Worship His Majesty”, and close with “Take Our Bread”. In the gym we will sing “Today is the Day”, “My Jesus I Love Thee”, “Consuming Fire”, and close with “The Heart of Worship”.


I love this Sunday on which we set our clocks back one hour. On a normal morning, this would be 6:20 am. As a pastor I always find Sunday mornings too short, and the time seems to go by too fast. So, I will read scripture, pray, worship and study my sermon as I prepare to lead worship for 1000 people this morning in four worship services.

Psalm 150

Praise the Lord! Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty firmament. Praise him for his mighty deeds; praise him according to his surpassing greatness! Thus the Psalmist begins the final Psalm in the Hebrew worship book. This morning I will be teaching about worship, and telling the Matt Redmon story of his writing “The Heart of Worship”. John Wesley wrote “Christ the Lord is Risen Today.”Charles Wesley wrote thousands of worship songs. Martin Luther wrote “A Mighty Fortress is Our God.” Rick Warren begins his classic “Purpose Driven Life” with the sentence “It is not about me.”


On this first Sunday in November, I am looking forward to the faith community gathering, to celebrating the Eucharist, and to expending all my energy in ministry. Guide me Holy Lord, in your surpassing greatness as this servant seeks to glorify thy Name in all the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment