Tuesday, November 8, 2011

November 8, 2011

Yesterday I accomplished three significant goals – I ran the equivalent of 12 miles (6 on the road, plus 60 minutes on the elliptical), I replaced the leaking valve on our hot water heater, and I changed the oil and filter on the Concours. My body is sore (in a good way) from the workout, the leaking hot water heater is now leak-free (started leaking last winter), and after 6000 miles my motorcycle has new oil, but it was leaking a little from the oil filter, which I probably will have to reinstall.

I retired early, and continued reading the biography on Jefferson Davis. I am up to 1862 as the writer describes his pursuit of the civil war on all fronts. The local Wilson’s Creek battle was mentioned as an early victory for the south. In retrospect the brutalities and losses of war seem so stupid. The gallantry and heroics are appealing to boys and men, but the death, destruction, and ruin are tragic. However, the reality is that humanity is prone to fight and kill; a well-trained, well-resourced military is necessary for defense and protection. As we celebrate veterans’ day this week, I am thankful for those who have served, and those currently in uniform.

Hebrews 9 – The True Tabernacle

The writer describes the earthly tabernacle, given by God to Moses and for the people. This tabernacle had an outer area where people worshipped and brought their sacrifices, and an inner, holy of holies area that once a year the high priest entered, covered with blood for his own sins and the sins of the people. In verse 24 the writer continues: “For Christ did not enter a holy place made with hands, a mere copy of the true one, but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us now was it that He should offer Himself often, as the high priest enters the holy place year by year with blood not his own. … So Christ also, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, shall appear a second time for salvation without reference to sin, to those who eagerly await Him.

Lord, I eagerly await your appearance a second time. Living between your first and second appearance is a joy and a responsibility to share your gospel with all who will receive it. It is so incredible that you died for me, your holy life for my sinful soul. May my life be a testimony of your grace, today and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment