Saturday, November 19, 2011

November 19, 2011

Today is almost the last day of deer season. I have not heard any reports on how the harvest is going, given the weather we have had. However, “hunting around” on the internet, I have discovered that so far there have been 208,000 deer taken, with two days to go, compared with 188,000 for all of last year. Some year I might join the hunt. Bethany’s opening night for Falstaff was last night, and as we were sitting in a full Kickapoo auditorium watching Shannon in “The Phantom of the Opera”, I was thinking about Bethany’s opera, and her leading role, and wishing I could have been there also.

James 3

“…no one can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing.” (James 3:8-10) There is so much truth and wisdom in this chapter concerning the self-control of what a person says. For me, one of the early signs of my conversion was the elimination of cursing from my daily speech. It happened almost overnight, as I heard the foul expressions coming out of my mouth, and they injured my soul. The Holy Spirit did the work on my heart, and my tongue was tamed. It now remains for me to always be careful what I say, that I might use wisdom and grace and kindness in speaking.

I have the privilege of speaking publicly every week, and tomorrow I will be speaking about Thanksgiving with Hope. I pray that the words of my mouth will be acceptable in God’s sight, and will be a blessing to the hearers. Hope is the anchor of the soul.

Most precious eternal Word, live in me that I might live. Speak in me that I might speak. Fill me that I might overflow with your love, kindness, patience and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment