Thursday, November 17, 2011

November 17, 2011

This is the coldest morning of the season (25 degrees). I must unhook the hoses, so the faucets do not freeze. Yesterday was a good day. Continuing from Tuesday I experienced being mildly melancholy, which is somewhat unusual for this optimistic, hopeful soul. I am not sure what the factors were that contributed to this feeling, but certainly they include the gloomy weather, the aftermath of church conference, the upcoming holiday season. Perhaps I experienced a “trough of low pressure” (in weather terminology) sweeping across my soul. I pushed through the day, including pushing through the 5 mile run with Bill in the 41 degree windswept afternoon. So this morning after a decent night’s sleep, and with the sun on the horizon I feel much more buoyant than yesterday. It is good for me to walk through these feelings, and come out on the other side.

James 1:1-18

James is an extremely helpful and relevant book of the Bible, an open letter written to the church by James, the “half brother” of Jesus, and a leader of the church in Jerusalem.

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.” (James 1:2-3) In the relatively safe and secure environment in which I live, it is so different from the dangerous, persecuted, impoverished life of the recipients of this epistle. And, I can apply these verses to my life, what I have experienced in the last couple of days, and to the lives of all who follow Christ, as there will be trials of many kinds. Perhaps there is the false notion that if a person is really pleasing God, that He will make life easy and pleasant. Sometimes this is true, and often the genuine, true believer will face difficult trials.

Guide me today Lord as I lead by serving you and shepherding your flock in Springfield. Guide my thinking, my planning, my praying, and my schedule. Use me in the lives of people who are facing trials of many kinds. May I please You in all I say and do.

No comments:

Post a Comment