Friday, November 4, 2011

November 4, 2011

11-4-11 Friday, 4:54 am Springfield, 38 degrees, clear

It is good to be up early. I am looking forward to the time change this weekend, not only because we essentially “gain” an hour, but also because the sun will rise an hour earlier. These days the sun is not even up at 7:40. In the evening, the sun will set an hour earlier, around 5:15 making for longer evenings.

Hebrews 6

“Let us press on to maturity…” The opening verse of this chapter leads the reader to consider the discipleship pathway, the pursuit of a “grown up faith”. This is one of the strong emphases of my teaching and leading, that each of us who follow Christ must be growing in our walk. For the writer of Hebrews, in verse one he cautions readers to not be “laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God, of instructions about washings, and laying on of hands, and the resurrection of the dead and eternal judgment.” (Verses 1-2)

Verses 18-19 encourage us to take hold of the hope that is set before us. “We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.” I treasure this metaphor of hope being the anchor of the soul. Without hope there is drifting and uncertainty and no direction. With hope, even in the midst of a storm there is the expectation that beyond what can be seen, a better future exists. On Sunday preceding Thanksgiving my sermon topic is “Thanksgiving and Hope”, and I am looking forward to examining the ways that hope shapes one’s outlook and daily living.

Guide me today most holy Lord as I live with the hope of life with You inside the curtain. May my steps be ordered by you, my thoughts taken captive by you, my words be according to your will and purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment