Tuesday, November 22, 2011

November 22, 2011

My body feels the effects of 28,000 paces yesterday, and I am ready for the week ahead. Yesterday I ran 7 and did 70 minutes on the elliptical for an equivalent of 14mile run. I mowed the front lawn, worked around the house, installed a bookcase in the basement and finished the evening by watching a 1997 movie with Audrey. Today’s schedule is busy, with worship planning, staff meeting with Ann G. around communication, followed by executive staff meeting. I will get to the office early, and since I wrote my pastor’s pen yesterday, I will get a jump on the day.

Psalm 119:17-32

“Open my eyes, that I may behold wonderful things from Your law.” (Verse 18) The life of a person who is following God must be an ongoing openness to revelation. God continues to show His children “wonderful things”. A real key is to be a hearer and a doer of God’s word (as James reminds us.) In the church there are those who attend Bible studies for ever, yet do not bear fruit for the kingdom. As I study God’s word using the One Year Bible format, I am daily beholding wonderful things, and seeking to live them.

“I am a stranger in the earth” (Verse 19) as where the Pilgrims who, seeking religious freedom, ended up in New England. On this Tuesday in the Ozarks it is good for me to remember that I also am a stranger in the earth, and that this world is not my home. This brief journey, even if it lasts 100 years is as a dream when one awakes. This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

“I shall run the way of your commandments, for you will enlarge my heart” (Verse 32). As I train for a February marathon, and as I plan to run the Turkey trot on Thursday, the metaphor of running is daily familiar. I do not have a conscious memory of including this verse with the great “running” verses of scripture, such as Hebrews 12:1 and Isaiah 40:31. As in training one’s physical body through running, the heart grows stronger, so in obeying God’s commandments, God strengthens and enlarges one’s heart.

Lord, may my eyes be opened and my heart enlarged as I live out your word on this November day in Missouri. Guide my words, thoughts and actions that they may glorify you.

No comments:

Post a Comment