Wednesday, November 16, 2011

November 16, 2011

Jesus, the unchanging Savior, expects His followers to live a life of love.(Hebrews 13) This love includes all people, leads to purity in marriage, doe not love money, imitates worthy leaders, and centers on the unchanging Christ. (notes from my dad’s Disciple’s Study Bible) This book of Hebrews is more a sermon than an epistle. Addressed to the Jewish followers of Christ, its teaching are rich with moving from the old testatment history and traditions to the new covenant God has made through His Son. This last chapter has the application for the believer.

Verse 17 exhorts the readers to “obey your leaders and submit to their authority … so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you.” I observe that for many pastors their work is a burden. Leading the flock in ways that are outwardly focused and call for faith stretching out of the comfort zone meets resistance in many ways. This one verse fires a laser of light down through the ages to facilitate a better way of being the people of God. Bishop Schnase describes resistance not as a problem to be solved, but as information to be considered. Recently I conversed with a pastor who has led his congregation through tough times, and a few entrenched people are calling for his replacement. His pastoring continues as a burden, not a joy. Oh to see the body of Christ submitted to its Lord, and supportive of its pastors!

It is good to be home, to have the gas fire burning, and to be preparing for a day of pastoral ministry. Yesterday I drove home from the gathering of pastors in Osage Beach, and worked at the office and then at home. Audrey and I went for a 40 minute walk. Today I have a 7:30 am breakfast, worship planning, a book study at lunch, a conversation with our college age pastor, a run late in the afternoon, and then a meeting with a couple this evening. Between these appointments I will be working on sermon prep, and my fourth role as lead pastor.

Guide me today, most holy Lord as I serve You and shepherd the flock called Wesley. Use my thoughts, energy, compassion, and diligence to bear eternal fruit. Lead me into Your joy as I prepare to preach about hope and Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment