Saturday, November 5, 2011

November 5, 2011

11-5-11 Saturday, 8:31 am Springfield, 45 degrees, cloudy

It is fully November - A gray sky, muted colors and cold. This is one of Audrey’s favorite months, and together we enjoy very much this feel of autumn and preparation for the holidays. Today I will work on my sermon, work on preparations for Thursday’s church conference, exercise, and contact three folks as their pastor. Yesterday I made three pastoral calls, including one nursing home, one “homeless” couple, and one couple in their home. I appreciate the flexibility of a pastor’s schedule, and a key to fruitfulness is using days such as this without meetings to accomplish the roles and make progress toward the goals on one’s missional job description. This is my 29th year as a pastor, and I am growing, learning, challenged, and fruitful. It is hard work, and for those who are called, God supplies exactly what is needed.

Hebrews 7:1-17

As the writer in chapter 6 introduced the concept of Jesus as “a high priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek”, he writes more completely about Melchizedek and the office of high priest in this 7th chapter.

In Genesis chapter 14 the account is given of Abram using his 318 trained men to chase down the kings who raided Sodom and abducted Lot. Upon the recovery Lot and all the other people from Sodom along with their goods which had also been stolen, the king of Sodom went out to meet Abram, and “Melchizedek king of Salem brought out bread and wine; now he was a priest of God Most High.” According to the writer of Hebrews, Melchizedek was “without father or mother, without genealogy, without beginning of days or end of life, resembling the Son of God, he remains a priest forever.” (Verse 3)

Tomorrow I am preaching about worship, that it is more than music, more than money, more than Sunday morning. I will incorporate this incident with Abram and Melchizedek in the section about worship being more than money. The fact that Abram gave him a tenth of the plunder implies faith and worship. Melchizedek preceded the Levitical priesthood. He became “a priest not on the basis of a regulation as to his ancestry but on the basis of the power of an indestructible life.” (verse 16)

Guide me today most Holy Lord as I serve You alone, filling the role of pastor through the faith community called Wesley United Methodist Church here in Springfield, in the waning days of 2011. Guide my sermon preparation, my phone calls, my writing, my discernment that your kingdom may come and your will be done today through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment