Monday, November 14, 2011

November 14, 2011

It is odd weather for November. Overnight the temperature rose 10 degrees from midnight on. I travel to Tan Tar A today for a meeting with the bishop and other pastors of large churches. I might ride the Concours, even though there is an outside chance of rain tomorrow, and we are in the middle of deer season. This morning I have a mind to throw my running gear on and get a long run in, even before daylight.

Hebrews 11:32- 12:13

The last verses of the Faith Chapter, Hebrews 11 lead directly in to chapter 12 which begins: “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

I have always found great inspiration in these verses. As a runner, I fix my attention on the goal, and run with perseverance. Today that will be 130 minutes, 65 out and whatever it takes to get back. I will leave at the break of daylight, here in about 15 minutes. I will meditate upon Christ as I run, and upon the passages from Ezekiel, Psalms and Proverbs.

Last night Audrey and I watched a movie we rented from Red Box entitled Of Gods and Men. It centers on the monastery of Tibhirine, where nine Trappist monks lived in harmony with the largely Muslim population of Algeria, until seven of them were kidnapped and assassinated in 1996 during the Algerian Civil War. It was in French, and the main characters were Trappists, who live under a vow of silence, so there was not a lot of dialogue. It was inspiring, as toward the end the monks considered the incarnation of Christ, and their decision to stay put, even as they realized their lives were at risk.

Guide me today Lord as I run with perseverance the race that You have set before me, fixing my mind and heart upon You, the author and perfecter of faith. Let your joy be my joy today, most holy Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment