Friday, November 18, 2011

November 18, 2011

“Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, because our anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires.” (James 1:19-20) “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.” (Verse 22) These are two very practical, very direct instructions. It is easy for me to begin applying them to everyone else. First I must examine my own conduct, and see if there are any areas where I am not listening well, and settings in which I become angry. I will ponder this. I must also be introspective and consider what portions of the Word I might be merely listening to, but not doing. James if famous for saying “faith without works is dead”.

Today Lord, guide my steps as I work in the office on my sermon, on weekend preparations, on planning and organizing, and then as I go to attend the funeral of a beloved father of two sisters who are members at Wesley. Thank you for yesterday, with its meetings, planning, pastoral phones calls, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment