Monday, November 21, 2011

November 21, 2011

Carl Edwards is an inspiration. Yesterday he finished second at Homestead Florida to Tony Stewart, and the two tied for the Sprint Cup Championship series. The tiebreaker went to Stewart who won 5 of the last 10 races. In mid-afternoon, I decided to go to the gym and workout, rather than sit on the couch and watch the rest of the race. Edwards is a great competitor, and a genuinely great person. He trains hard physically, and competes earnestly. God has not called me to be a spectator or a fan, but a disciple and a son who is inheriting the kingdom. Even as I appreciate the efforts of Carl Edwards, my goal is to fully maximize the life and possibilities of Bruce Baxter. This involves saying no to many things, in order to say yes to the possibilities for God’s best.

James 5

Verses 1-6 are addressed to rich people, who have “lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter.” In many ways this describes the last several decades of life in the United States. Obesity is one of the major problems. Luxury and self-indulgence are so normal that it goes unnoticed until this writer from the New Testament era points it out. Lately I have considered the content of two books: Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger and When Helping Hurts. Both point out the dilemma of Christ-followers who have plenty in an era when a billion people go to bed hungry.

“Be patient, then, brothers and sisters, until the Lord’s coming. See how the farmer waits for the land to yield its valuable crop. … you too, be patient and stand firm, because the Lord’s coming is near. (verses 7-8) I must everyday live in the context of the return of Christ. For whether His second coming is in my lifetime or not, my days on earth are limited, and my opportunities to spread the kingdom are finite. Expecting His return is the best way to live, and to guard against luxury and self-indulgence.

“Don’t grumble against one another, brothers and sisters, or you will be judged. (Verse 9) In many churches there is “grumbling against one another.” This is one reason so many younger believers leave the church. I do not think that the grumblers realize the full consequences of their complaining and expressions of unhappiness. Guard me Lord from being a grumbler.

“As you know, we count as blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job’s perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.” (Verse 11) I endeavor to persevere. I have seen too many people throw up their hands and bail. Throughout scripture there are admonitions and examples of perseverance.

Thank you Lord for your Word today. Guide me as one who perseveres, who avoids luxury, self-indulgence, and grumbling. May my life be a blessing to You, reflecting Your character and divine nature. As I live out my earthly days, now in this 55 year-old body, in my 29th year as a husband and as a pastor, use me according to your plan and purposes. Use me up completely, may I hear your words at the end “well done good and faithful servant.”

No comments:

Post a Comment