Tuesday, November 29, 2011

November 29, 2011

Yesterday I ran 6, including a timed mile which I completed in 7:48. According to Galloway’s marathon math, this indicates I could complete a marathon, running at a hard pace, in about 4:25. Galloway suggests that his readers consider a different approach to marathoning – running for fun at a slower pace. I have completed 3, always with a time goal in mind. I have dreaded the long runs the last 15 years, and I have never taken nutrition along the way in a marathon. I am going to try Galloway’s run-walk-run method, extending my long runs further out than before and at the slower pace he recommends. I will also allow 2 weeks between long runs for recovery. I have in mind that I could run the Feb 5 marathon in around 4:30. My stated goal is to complete a marathon in each decade, and the pace is only secondary. Qualifying for Boston would be great, but would require a 3:40 (8:23/Mile) for my age group.

2 Peter 3

The apostle continues in his teaching about the Lord’s return to judge the earth. He gives practical instructions to the readers of his letter: “My friends, while you are waiting, you should make certain that the Lord finds you pure, spotless, and living at peace. (Peace is the advent theme for this 2nd week.) Don’t forget that the Lord is patient because he wants people to be saved. This is also what our dear friend Paul said when he wrote you with the wisdom that God had given him.” (Verses 14-15)

Pure, spotless, living at peace – This is clear, applicable instructions to any believer on any day. For Bruce Baxter this means a regular monitoring of thoughts, actions, and relationships. As a maturing believer, 34 years into this journey, attention to my thoughts, actions and relationships is at the center of my discipleship, and this fresh reminder this morning is like polishing the existing metal, so that it does not grow tarnished. I do have thoughts that pop into my thinking that I regularly expel, like the blood system wraps up and expels germs. My actions are always public and my goal is complete authenticity in living a blameless life. There are some relationships that are difficult, mainly within the church with folks who don’t like some aspect of the decision making or worship service. I endeavor to live at peace with everybody, as much as lies within me.

Peter’s final verse, our last record of his thoughts before he was executed for his faith: “Let the wonderful kindness and the understanding that come from our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ help you to keep on growing. Praise Jesus now and forever! Amen.” My desire is to keep on growing through the wonderful kindness and the understanding that come from Jesus Christ. It is always a possibility that believers will slow down or stop growing. I need to make sure I do not get into a rut and lose the cutting edge of spiritual growth and development.

Guide me through this day, most precious Lord. Lead my thoughts, actions, and relationships that each may be reflective of your wonderful love and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment