Thursday, November 24, 2011

November 24, 2011

In 45 minutes I leave for the Turkey Trot. Last year it was a great experience, and I am hoping to enjoy it again today. I have been training harder this year than last, as I prepare for the Feb 5 marathon, and I am in an older (55-59) age group than I was last year. I will pick up Lauren and her friend from Wales Natasha at 6:45. Then this afternoon we will host the Collettes for dinner. Yesterday was quiet around the office, and I made good progress in several areas.

I Peter 2:11-3:7

“Dear friends, you are foreigners and strangers on this earth. So I beg you not to surrender to those desires that fight against you.” (I Peter 2:11) This world is not my home, a fact that I remember often. Peter does not specify what the desires are that fight against the “pilgrims”, but they relate to the desires of the flesh and ego for gratification, pleasure, status, fame, and too many more to name. On Sunday my sermon is titled “How to wait with hope” and I will address the issue of combating “those desires that fight against you.”

“If you are a husband, you should be thoughtful of your wife. Treat her with honor, because she isn’t as strong as you are, and she shares with you in the gift of life. Then nothing will stand in the way of your prayers.” (I Peter 3:7) It is good for me always to be reminded to be thoughtful, as this does not come naturally. I am so very thankful to be married to Audrey, and will treat her with honor all the days of our life together as pilgrims on this earth.

Thank you Lord for this national day of gratitude. I am thankful for your Word and for you Spirit. Fill me and use me for your purposes today, and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment