Monday, November 7, 2011

November 7, 2011

I am still benefitting from the extra hour this weekend due to the time change. I am always amazed at how much difference an hour makes, both in the fall and then in the spring. Yesterday was a very good day of worship, communion, and fellowship. In the afternoon and evening I rested, read more of Cooper’s biography of Jefferson Davis, made some phone calls, and watched parts of a movie with Audrey. Today I will utilize this day off to get in a 12 mile run, work around the garage and basement, and perhaps start writing our family Christmas letter.

Hebrews 8

Jesus is the high priest, made perfect forever. He has taken his seat at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens, a minister in the sanctuary, and in the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, not man. (Verses 1-2) The earthly tabernacle, constructed by Moses as a result of a vision when he was on the mountain, and the systems of the “old” covenant are imperfect, a shadow of the reality of heaven.

Jesus is the “mediator of a better covenant, which has been enacted on better promises. For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion sought for a second.” (6,7) The writer of Hebrews proceeds to quote at length from the prophet Jeremiah, chapter 31, verses 31-34 in which there is the promise of a new covenant. God says: "I will put my laws into their minds, and I will write them upon their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.”

We are now living in the days of this new covenant. I have the privilege of ministering, serving under the better covenant, as have all believers since the day of Pentecost. Serving as a pastor at Wesley church, I see God in the person of the Holy Spirit writing his word upon people’s hearts. Guide me holy Lord as I serve you during this brief earthly journey, until I take my place before the throne of the Majesty in the heavens. May this day be a day filled with your grace as I breathe in your love and live fully through this gray November Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment