Tuesday, April 10, 2012

April 10, 2012

I have had a good night’s rest and am ready for the day. I am recovering from the 24 hour bug I had on Easter Sunday, and am glad that it is over! Last night I felt like writing and processing my thoughts, but did not, instead going to the auto parts store to check on price of parts to fix the A/C on the LHS, and then across the street to Harbor Freight to buy some metric Allen wrenches for the Concours. Now I will turn my attention to the Word, prayer, and getting ready for this day of pastoring.

Hebrews 5 Jesus is the superior high priest

Continuing the theme of comparing Jesus to the various aspects of the Jewish framework, the writer describes Jesus as “being designated by God as a high priest according to the order of Melchizedek.” (Verse 10) Today as I worship Christ I will include this image of Him as the great high priest.

In verses 11-14 the writer chastises the readers for their lack of maturity, and their need to continually receive the basics such as milk, and not solid food. “But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.” (Verse 14) I desire daily through practice to have my senses trained to discern good and evil. Bishop Schnase emphasizes “practices”, and I realize that actually living the Christian life gets one involved in the difficulties of life, off the couch, out of the pew and into the fray. May this ever be characteristic of my life!

Guide me today, most holy Lord, as I write, lead, teach, prepare, plan, and serve as pastor in the faith community called Wesley UMC in Springfield. Fill me with wisdom and courage as I live completely surrendered to your will and purposes, that I may bear much fruit for Your Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment