Thursday, April 5, 2012

April 5, 2012

Finally a cooler morning! This has been such a warm stretch, and the cooler morning temperature (50 degrees) feels great! Today is Maundy Thursday, and we will celebrate Holy Communion tonight under the leadership of Pastor Jim Massey. I will be working on my sermon throughout the day, as well as meeting with Pastor Mi Hyeon, exercising, and attending the Ambassadors for Children banquet hosted by Wesley tonight.

I had a vivid dream last night, in which I was attending a conference or a training session somewhere outside Missouri and I was reunited with a friend from seminary, David E. In my dream, he was there with his wife, and I recognized him and introduced myself. In real life, a mutual friend has told me about the difficulties David E. has experienced, most of them of his own poor choices. I have his cell number, and during the last year I have considered calling him. Why did he show up in a dream last night?

Hebrews 1

I am looking forward to preaching on this book in May. I will read a chapter a day in these morning devotions to feed my spirit and to ready my heart to expound upon God’s message for us today.

This first chapter lays the groundwork for the entire book. The form of Hebrews is called a letter, an epistle but it more accurately is in the form of a sermon. The main point of this scripture is that Christ is supreme – above angels, ancestors, rituals, customs, or anything else. The key verse is 1:3 “He is the reflection of God’s glory and the exact imprint of God’s very being, and he sustains all things by his powerful word. When he had made purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.”

This is a great verse for me to meditate upon as I prepare to lead the Wesley congregation in the celebration of Easter. Truly Christ is supreme, and is sitting at the right hand of the Majesty on high. Lord, may I ever teach and preach with greater authority, wisdom, and power. May those who draw near to you this weekend through the services of Wesley United Church in Springfield Missouri experience the eternal reality of life on this earth filled with your presence and resurrection power. Guard me from anything that would distract me from worshipping and serving You.

No comments:

Post a Comment