Friday, April 20, 2012

April 20, 2012

Mission blitz this weekend! Partnering with Habitat for Humanity, Wesley UMC will field over 700 volunteers to serve as Christ’s hands and feet in the Springfield area. We will build a house on our parking lot, to be transported to the Heritage subdivision where Habitat is building a neighborhood. We will work at dozens of home sites through Brush with Kindness, a newer ministry of Habitat. I will be visiting the various sites, supporting in every way possible, and then finishing the day with a wedding at Wesley in the evening. On Sunday the MSU band will be in all 3 sanctuary services.

Hebrews 12

Following the great “hall of faith” chapter, this 12th chapter of Hebrews powerfully points the reader to Christ: “fixing our eyes upon Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” (Verse 2) The writer summarizes chapter 11 and applies it to the current believer with this classic transition: “Therefore, since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance, and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us...”

As a runner I often meditate on this verse when I am on a long run, as fixing my thoughts on the finish is motivating to get through the tough parts. In this life I must regularly “fix my eyes on Jesus” and also remember those who have laid aside all the encumbrances in order to run with endurance the race. By considering what Christ endured, the believer is strengthened against growing weary and losing heart (verse 3). Reminding us that just as our earthly parents discipline us for our own good, so our heavenly Father disciplines us “that we may share his holiness.” (Verse 10). “Therefore, strengthen the hands that are weak and the knees that are feeble, and make straight paths for your feet…” (Verse 11)

“Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe; for our God is a consuming fire.” (Verses 28-29) Yes Lord, may my life today be an offering of acceptable service with reverence and awe, as I run the race that is set before me, pastoring Wesley here in the Ozarks. I seek to run the race with perseverance, casting off anything that would keep me from your perfect will and purposes. Use me to lead and inspire others as I follow You alone. Guard me from anything that would distract me from your way, your truth, your light.

No comments:

Post a Comment