Wednesday, April 18, 2012

April 18, 2012

My day has much flexibility in it, and there is much I need to accomplish. I begin with a 7:30 breakfast with a pastor, and end with an evening pre-wedding session. I had last evening unscheduled, and I will work the next 4 evenings, thus I need to make sure I manage my energy and plan for Sunday well. This is one of the most exciting weekends of the year for me, as we undertake the mission blitz on Saturday, celebrate it on Sunday, and as a bonus this year we have the MSU symphonic band in the house.

Hebrews 11 (With great anticipation I open this, a most meaningful and well-loved chapter for me.)
Before reading this chapter, I asked myself: In what ways do I evidence faith? And, in what areas could I increase in faith? This was a helpful exercise and prepared me to read this familiar chapter in a new light, noting the ways in which faith was evidenced, or not evidenced.

Verse 2 teaches that it is by faith that people of old gained approval (of God). This is my greatest desire, my highest goal – to be approved by God (as Timothy was taught by Paul, a workman who rightly divides the Word of God.) A daily question to ask could be: How can I today be approved by God, in what ways can I live by faith, not by sight to accomplish the work to which God has called me?

In verses 4-7 I read about Abel, Cain, Enoch, and Noah – specific examples of faith (and for Cain – lack of faith).

Verses 8-12 briefly describe the faith of Abraham and Sarah, and the resulting multitudes of descendants, from this barren couple.

Reading these first 12 verses during this early morning hour has framed my day, and inspired me in my living and thinking. I will continue reading this chapter tomorrow, anticipating further insights and inspiration. These verses this morning have inspired me to consider how I can please God at this juncture of my life. This is a great question, and one that is helpful for all believers to consider regularly. How can I help others reflectively consider what it means to please God? Perhaps I can begin to answer that question in days and weeks ahead.

Guide my steps, thoughts, words, deeds, phone calls, planning, preparation and praying today, most Holy God, as I seek to please You alone in all I do, and with all I am on this 18th day of April, in Springfield, Missouri.

No comments:

Post a Comment