Wednesday, April 11, 2012

April 11, 2012

I was awake as the hours passed from 2:30 to 3:30 and when 4:00 appeared I was ready to arise (I call 4 am “John Wesley time”). Even though I did not get a full night’s sleep I feel rested and ready for the day. I was tossing and turning to some degree because I have not been able to locate a book that I plan to use in preparing for tonight’s ministry at the Green Room. The book is called Spiritual Pathways by Gary Thomas, and I had my hands on it very recently in my study. This morning I have been able to purchase it on Kindle from Amazon and load it to my laptop, so I am all set to prepare for tonight’s teaching. I will develop questions for the students to discuss following about 20 minutes of message. I look forward to this college ministry as I fill in for Kerner who is in D. C. for a conference.

Hebrews 6

The writer describes the peril of falling away, of the difficulties faced by people who “have tasted of the heavenly gift … and have tasted the good word of God and the power of the age to come, and then have fallen away…” (Verses 4-6) From the earliest days of the church, there have been people who have believed and followed Christ and then have fallen away, and this still continues to this present day. It is tragic and lives are ruined in the process. As a pastor my heart grieves when I hear of a person who has dropped out of an active, vibrant Christ-centered life.

In verses 13- 20 the writer describes “better things” that God has revealed to His people “desiring even more to show to the heirs of the promise the unchangeableness of His purpose..” (Verse 17) One of my favorite verses of all scripture is verse 19: “This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast and one which enters within the veil, where Jesus has entered as a forerunner for us…”

Guide me in serving you today, most Holy Lord as I nurture the life of worship and service, drawing near to you uniquely as you have created me. Guard me from any thought of backsliding, and use me to strengthen others who I serve today in their journeys of faith along the spiritual pathways you have established.

No comments:

Post a Comment