Wednesday, April 25, 2012

April 25, 2012

As I begin this day in Azusa California I will start directly with scripture.

James 3

This chapter continues the direct style of the writer James, as he warns readers about the dangers of the tongue. He begins with cautioning not to become teachers, because there is a stricter judgment. As a pastor and teacher I am well aware of this caution, and I exercise this office with the greatest of care. He proceeds to point out that large animals are controlled by a bit and bridle, and a large ship by a rudder. “Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things. See how great a forest a little fire kindles!” (Verse 5)

He continues to warn about the human tongue: “But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not be so.” (Verses 8-10) I have observed this to be true, and the only taming of the tongue comes through the transformed life, God’s Holy Spirit living in a person, guiding thoughts, words and actions. When I was brand new in a real, active, personal faith, it was August of 1974. I was a house painter getting ready to start college. My parents cursed, I cursed, everyone around me cursed, using God’s various names in vain, and other foul language. I remember exactly where I was, driving on Olive Street Road when I submitted my tongue to God, and determined not to curse or use God’s name in vain, and instantaneously my speech became pure. This was a powerful witness in my spirit that indeed God was real, and the transformed life in Christ was real.

Guide me today, most Holy Lord as Bethany and I drive to and from San Diego, enjoying this day together. Bless our travels, our conversation, and our witness to whomever we meet along the way. Bless the work of Your kingdom unfolding at Wesley UMC in Springfield, and at General Conference in Florida. In your most precious, holy name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment